Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Saying hello to privacy....

I read an article earlier on the thoughts of when we should stop allowing our kids to see us naked. I immediately LOVED the topic because it's one that has a lot of different feedback.

Coming from a Mexican background this topic NEVER comes up. I can say even to this day my old lady will pee in front of me, change her underwear in front of me, hell she'd probably even take a shower with me if I let her. Mexicans aren't really touchy about that whole thing. To my Vieja it's idiotic to think that you can't change your shirt in front of your kids, after all they were fed from your naked breasts and came from inside your very own body! Why would it be weird?

Well it is weird...for me anyway! Everyone has their own feelings or thoughts on the subject but hey, this is about my opinion. You ARE reading MY blog right? ha ha

I used to take showers with my son and never thought twice about being naked in front of him but for me once he could balance himself well enough to stand up and sit down in the tub, he was old enough to stop seeing mommy naked. When he was somewhere around 1 and a half  to 2 years old I stopped letting him see "momma's goods". For me being naked in front of your kids is only out of necessity. You show a boob to feed a hungry child, get naked to shower with him in the tub, or change in front of him because you need to keep an eye on him at the same time.

I don't change in front of my son or shower with him. I don't look at it as bad but it is uncomfortable because once they get to 2 or 3 years old they are much more aware of things. You being naked in front of them gives them the impression that it's ok and then they start getting naked with other kids or talking about mommies boobs or butt etc...My son is too young to be asking questions about why mommy has boobs and daddy doesn't or where mommy's "winky" is? ha ha

Plus who wants to find out their kid was talking to other kids or grown ups about how mommy or daddy look naked or how mommy's boobs are bigger than theirs or...It just opens up a door into awkward questions, embarrassing comments and memories you will never forget! We had one preschooler who drew a picture of his bath time with mommy and daddy. Well daddy happened to have 3 "LEGS", or so we thought! The child made sure to explain that the third "leg" was NOT a leg! That's going to be fun to talk about come parent-teacher conference time! ha ha ha

It's important to teach a child about privacy and safety. We need to teach them that their bodies are only for them and their parents to see. That mommy and daddy's body are only for them to see and that he shouldn't be getting undressed with other kids or adults. This also helps open the door into inappropriate touching from others. This way you can help him understand that nobody else should be touching his private areas but him, mommy or daddy.

I know at 3 years old my son may not understand about inappropriate touching or private areas but it's important to start somewhere. For me it starts with my son not seeing me naked and teaching him not to be naked in front of others. Then maybe in another year I can explain private parts and "bad" touching versus "okay" touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment